Friday, February 5, 2010

MUSIC BOXES

Just a quick post on music boxes...

When I was a child, my parents hung a blue wooden bell with a red ball pull from my head board. I could pull that red ball the length of the string, and let it go and then listen to the twinkling sounds of my music box. I loved it. I'd pull that red ball over and over, listening again as the song played and slowed down until the last note sounded.

These days, Bella's mom has found her childhood music box - part of a snow globe - and placed it beside Bella's bed. So now at bedtime, I ask Bella if she wants music. If she quietly says yeah, then I wind the crank on the music box and let it play in the dresser beside her bed. Then I rub her back for a few moments, and then quietly move over to the glider in the corner of the room to sit and wait for her to fall asleep. While I sit there, we both listen to the music box play.

Something is a little screwy with it right now as it no longer plays straight through. Instead it plays a few notes, then pauses for a moment or two, and then a few more notes, and then another pause, and so on. So it's fun to listen and guess which note will be the last the music box plays. As it plays, I look out the window behind the curtain and watch tree limbs move in the wind backlighted by the glow of Decatur city lights.

I like music boxes.

No comments: