Thursday, March 5, 2009

FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL

Well, I have to admit that pulling into the school parking lot, and having a lady come to the car to remove Bella and her bags from the car, and carry them off to class was slightly less traumatic than I thought it would be. I did kinda well up on the approach to the school, but the actual pick-up/drop-off happened so fast there wasn't time to reflect.

Bella cried of course, but seemed OK as I saw her carried into the toddler building. I came back home, where Bella's mom was suffering from pangs of guilt and worry about how her baby would do. I told her that she'd probably cry for a while, but then recover once she saw the kids in the class and their activities. The same thing typically happened at Parents Morning Out, too.

The phone rang at 11 a.m. and it was Brandy. Bella did cry at first, but calmed down soon. She enjoyed the language card activity and watching the kids in the class and having a snack. However, for some reason, when they all went outside to the playground at 10:30 Bella lost it and wouldn't stop crying. Figuring that had been enough for her first day, Brandy made the call. When I arrived 15 minutes later, Bella was sitting in a little chair eating a cracker with Brandy. She cried when she saw me and wanted to be picked up immediately. As I carried her out, she waved by to brandy and to her classmates who waved and said "bye Bella" from the playground.

To top it all off, I took Bella to the doctor just to have her ears checked as she had been tugging on them lately. But the doctor said she's fine. Maybe some more teeth coming in, but otherwise in great shape - physically. So now she's napping, a well-deserved nap, and here I am again. We'll go to the Farmers Market this afternoon, and maybe back to the toy park if time allows. Then tomorrow: her second day of school.

And thanks, Rebecca, for the phrase that pays: hang in there, baby!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

This is a big change for everyone. But she'll get the hang of it, and will love it.