Monday, May 12, 2008

MOTHER'S DAY


We celebrated Jen's first official Mother's Day yesterday. Bella gave her a portrait of her and her daddy [pictured here] that our friend Steve took at his new studio. I cooked a nice brunch out of the Flying Biscuit cookbook, and we basically chilled all day. Walks, naps, snacks, diapers. It was a glorious day weatherwise: sun and very breezy, low 70s.

Jen said something interesting over brunch: that many of her co-workers and friends who are fathers did not take time off from work to help raise their kid. That means they see their children before work and after work and on the weekends. For Mother's Day, some of them got their wives a day at the spa so they'd have a day off. We can both understand the need to take a day off and pamper yourself, but for us spending time with our baby and as a family is the best way to spend a day right now.

I went to a new parent class at the DeKalb Medical Center a few weeks ago, and was the only father there. No big deal, I can hang. But none of the womens' husbands were taking time off from work to care for their child. I found that hard to believe as the past two months have been the most incredibly enriching of my life. No career is worth giving this time up.

All this leads to my and my job at the newspaper. We've decided that after almost 13 years, the time has come for that job to end. I'll put in my notice soon after I return in June, and be back home to care for Bella and write the History of Jackson in August. From then on, it's a whole new ballgame.

No comments: